I clearly had no idea what I was doing when I picked T-shirt material for my first sewing project.  I just made Stephen a fleece soaker (diaper cover, for those of you not into cloth diapering lingo), and it was SO MUCH EASIER than trying to mess with cotton knit.  How much easier?  Well, I made the entire thing, start to finish, including cutting out the pattern and everything, during one naptime.  So 2 hours or less (I didn’t check the clock exactly).  And there was no throwing, no screaming, not even one curse word uttered during the entire process.  That statement may be less impressive if you haven’t been here for one of my other sewing projects, but believe me, it’s a big deal.

I got a whole bunch of fleece (5 or 6 yards, I think) in the mail yesterday, thanks to Joann’s great sale on fleece that was running a couple of weeks ago, and I’m looking forward to playing around with it and making Stephen a bunch of fleece pants and probably some more diaper covers.  I love that you don’t have to hem fleece, as it doesn’t fray.  I also love that it doesn’t bunch up in my sewing machine or creep out of alignment.

For those of you who actually know how to sew, please don’t look too closely, especially at the zigzag stitching on the back.  Next time I will start the stitching between the legs where it will be less conspicuous when it gets all wonky like it did here.  Oh, and I used the free Katrina’s soaker pattern with the optional extra soaker layer.  For Stephen’s measurements I used the large pattern to accommodate his fluffy cloth diaper booty,  but shortened the rise a bit so that it wouldn’t be up in his armpits.

Advertisements